Wednesday 6 January 2010

Some "serious" thoughts

Chennai is cool these days. I can't believe that I am in Chennai, especially after the hot summer that we had last year. So, again, after the really hot summer and this really cool winter, I have started loving hot days and cool nights!

Yesterday, I sat in my room, feeling the coldness of the night, with a lot of dreamy thoughts in my mind. I was not disturbed by any worries of life. The night was very silent, and I could even hear clearly the dogs barking somewhere at distance. I was just reminded of my home and school days. Elders used to say that dogs bark and howl in the night when they see "Yamadeva" coming on his vehicle, a big cow (or was it bull?),to take lives of people; and I used to imagine him, riding a big, black cow, holding a sword shining in the moon-light. I felt nostalgic.

Then I lay down on my bed, though sleep was nowhere near. I felt cold, very cold; I craved for warmth. I put a thick bed sheet on my body (in Chennai--oh, I still can't believe!). Then I closed my eyes. Calm... release... silence.... There was no thoughts in my mind; or rather, I was thinking through images. Many a time, I visit a world, far away, hundred-thousands of light years away from earth; humans haven't yet discovered that world, and I hope they will never. It is beautiful... green... silent... calm... full of animals, birds, trees, and everything that is on earth, except human beings. Hence there is no nonsense, or I don't have to check if something is nonsense or not! I walk on that lonely planet alone, with a calm but thinking mind, sometimes stopping to talk to some animals and birds.

Today, the world is that of the working man's. Everyone is working hard. Work is worship. When I was dreaming under the thick bed sheet, enjoying its warmth, I felt no urge for anything. It was relaxing, calm. Then it occurred to me that the modern man doesn't know why he/she is alive. They have just forgotten the simplicity of life. Work, worship, god, religion, marriage, war, gossip, bikes, cars, roads, people, music, movies, books... the world is full of nonsense, and noise. I just went outside the campus recently, just to get out of the boring campus life. I found only people, in buses, trams, roads, everywhere. Vehicles were continuously flowing on the roads. Why? After all, it was a Sunday evening, and why can't people just rest at their homes? I don't know.

Thinking all these, yet feeling serenity in the mind, I fell asleep... when? I don't know...

Now, will you call me a misanthrope?

No comments:

Post a Comment