Thursday 30 September 2010

Unconscious Mind of a Room

Does a room have an unconscious mind? For that matter, does a home have an unconscious mind?

It was about two weeks back, a Saturday, I guess, when I thought of tidying up my room. Though I used to clean my room regularly, or irregularly, I have never tried of tidying it up, or to refresh it, or to gave it life again. You, friends of mine, perhaps know that I have been living in my this hostel room at IIT Madras for the past three years. And I have gathered a lot of books --- maths, engineering and fiction --- in my room, which, after reading or skimming through, had never kept in a proper place, but left untouched in my shelf. OK, coming back to the Saturday I was talking about, I set to clean my books and keep them arranged. When I started the job I realized they were so dusty. But that could not weaken my will. To tell the truth, I enjoyed the job --- really! A few minutes into the job, I started unearthing a lot of papers and documents. They came in a pile and ranged from the day I started living in this room. They included one of the drafts of my M.Tech. thesis, which, I remember, had been used for preparing for my thesis defence in August 2007; my admission papers in IIT Madras; my admission order to IISc, Bangalore, which I did not make use of; a lot of technical tutorials and research papers, which I wanted to read but never read (or did I?); the hotel bill I payed for the party I gave to my friends when I passed the comprehensive exam; and so on and on.... Every time I got a new piece of paper from that pile, some memory attached with if lashed in my brain. Those were all my forgotten memories, or rather, memories from the forgotten days. All these documents have been with me during these years without my being aware of them. I like mysteries. Isn't this also an exciting mystery?

I'm sure, if I go home and search my cabinets and old files, I will be unearthing a lot of my forgotten dreams and memories. Thus I started believing that every room, and every home, has got an unconscious mind --- reflective of its inhabitants' !

No comments:

Post a Comment