Thursday 25 July 2013

A Moment of Anguish

It is getting more and more wonderful as I think about it! Today,  I passed a moment of anguish by telling myself that nobody can kill my enthusiasm for reading and my urge for writing. The fact is that today I finished reading Prague Cemetery of Umberto Eco. Have ever lived in forgetfulness? Well!  That's how I felt while reading that novel. To say in Eco's style, I must be an extreme masochist to have selected this novel to read. What more, I am an atheist, but God willing, I am going to read all the novels by Eco. Two more to go: Foucault's Pendulum and The Island of the Day Before. Looks good, no?

2 comments:

  1. Aw! I envy you. I started Prague cemetery three months ago and not been able to do the kind of research the book demands. Good going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Happy to see you after long time. I know your difficulty. Mine wasn't less, I swear! First I had to read Alexander Duma's Joseph Balsamo, since Eco heavily draws themes from that book. Then I had to learn a lot about the European history, especially of th 18th century (French revolution and aftermath, the Napoleons, Mazzini, Garibaldi, .... The list is endless.). I mostly depended on Wikipedia :) But at the end, notwithstanding being tiered of all the efforts, I confess: It is all worth! It is extremely fruitful and great. Perhaps, the only downside is that you become the target of "envy" of others. But there are not many out there who wants to torture themselves reading Eco. Most can't read The Name of the Rose. So don't give up. Read n feel privileged having read it.... LOL.......

    ReplyDelete