Sunday 1 December 2013

Centenary Reflections!

I was aware of this. But I did not want to exaggerate it. That this blog now crossed One Hundred posts. One hundred posts! As I look at it, it seems to be big. As I think further, it is insignificant.

So what is the purpose of this blog? Here, I would like to quote Terry Eagleton:

"What we need is a form of life which is completely pointless, [...]. Rather than serve some utilitarian purpose or earnest metaphysical end, it is a delight in itself. It needs no justification beyond its own existence. In this sense, the meaning of life is interestingly close to meaninglessness." 
--The Meaning of Life, Terry Eagleton.
The quote seems to say it all. Not really. I have a purpose for this blog. That is as I have stated many times here: To enjoy the inexorable pleasure of writing. And what do I write? Perhaps, as I stated in my first post in this blog, I do sense the ordinariness of my life and the grandeur of the ordinary. On a hindsight, it is about this grandeur which I sense in the ordinary nothing that I write in this blog.

I love this blog and love blogging. As you have recognised, this blog is a completely personal one. Just Google how to write a blog. You will find numerous articles on how to make it a success, how to get more readers, how to advertise, how to make money out of it and so on. I have not fallen and will never fall into such traps. I am not writing this blog to be read, but just to write. All those articles and perspectives on blogging/writing and the challenges blogging face from Facebooking have appeared recently. I remember that I started writing this blog in an era when likes and shares and comments were not important. I love those days, and they are already the "good old" days of the Internet.

When I shared my Catch Me if You Dare in Facebook, someone asked me why I share things that he could not understand! That is the level of animosity Facebookians harbour towards individualism. The idea of Facebook is to be not different from others but to conform to the common filthy standard. I reject this and stay adamantly reclusive in the blogger and elsewhere.

I remember starting the blog by writing down very short posts. But the blog developed me into a better blogger, I think. As I developed the blog, it developed me too. The exchange was mutual. In the beginning, I used to struggle to write anything meaningfully and properly. I don't feel that tension anymore. Once I have the topic [there are many, I claim] and the right mood and time, words flow. The inspiration is that I can put it in this blog! That's why the blog becomes my favourite, again.

Not to mention a few friends who I gained through this blog!

As a concluding remark, I would like to say that I will be here, blogging, as long as Google removes the Blogger from the services that it provides. If that happens, I will still try to survive in some other form, on some other platform, as a blogger! I am aware that the personal blogs of my type are getting reduced in the Internet and the new focus is on more impersonal writings with some purpose. But what can I do about that? To express myself freely is my freedom, even if I am not the favourite of the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment